Saturday, January 11, 2014

Ad Musings: AT&T Bigger is Better

The original reason why I wanted to start this blog was because I'd see or hear an advertisement and think 'I wonder if they thought...'

AT&T's latest 'Big is Better' ads with the comedian Beck Bennett talking to children is supposed to illustrate that the mega-conglomerate that is AT&T is obviously better, that even children can see it. He proceeds to ask them leading questions and the children proceed to be adorable. I admit, I do find them funny and cute but not all of them exactly relay the message. The first ones (where they probably had the A1 material) were pretty straightforward but now that they seem to be scrounging through B-Reel material are a little less so.

The one in particular I keep noticing is the one where he uses the analogy of a big swimming pool and a small one and asks which the kids would prefer. First, they never outrightly select the big pool, secondly, they start asking questions about what the big pool has - pirahnas, dinosaurs that change into motorboats, etc.

Seems that size doesn't matter. They care about additional features I don't care about your coverage, tell me what added value you can give me. Better prices for newer phones, unlimited data, more perks. Even the kids can see that.


No comments:

Post a Comment