Google videos so far have been home runs for me. The Dear Sophie one, the one with the father and daughter going off to college, their Google Chrome Everywhere ad (the Microsoft response ad to be fair, was also genius). Emotional, relevant and integrates Google perfectly with the storyline. Google isn't the leading star, but the supporting cast that helps the hero.
The latest one is about Google Search specifically - where a granddaughter looks up the long-lost childhood friend of her grandfather for his birthday and reunites them. I fell off the moment they showed how they were reunited. The woman started looking up Indian tourist visas to fly his childhood friend over (fine, maybe they're rich) but still. Seriously? In this day and age? I was so excited when the guy who handed the phone to the long-lost friend took out his own phone. I thought he was about to call back and start a Google Hangout or chat or something and reunite them instantaneously! I get that this was a Google Search commercial but why not integrate the full suite of their products? You've just located your grandfather's long lost childhood friend. You have his phone number. You have two young people with smartphones that definitely have video conferencing capabilities. Hook them up right away! Why do the montage of booking flight tickets and people reuniting? Or even just show them after reuniting and being able to keep in constant contact over video chat? This would be the perfect hook for the older generation.
My mother constantly wants to video chat with me while she's at my grandmother's so they can actually see how I've grown and how different I look. Sigh.
Missed opportunity Google.
No comments:
Post a Comment